Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Climate Empowerment Score?
The Climate Empowerment Score is our measure of how ready an organisation's employees feel they are to act on climate.
It consists of three metrics:
- Head - How well the organisation helps employees to learn about and understand climate action
- Heart - How connected employees feel to their organisation's climate action
- Hands - How supported employees feel to take action on climate at work
These are further broken down (see details in the app), and every question in the app contributes to one of these scores, and, ultimately, the Climate Empowerment Score.
What are the detailed calculations for the Climate Empowerment Score?
Climate empowerment score
The weighted mean average of the Category scores.
Example = (Head Score * Head Weighting) + (Heart Score * Heart Weighting) + (Hands Score * Hands Weighting)
1. Scores are between 0% and 100%.
2. Weightings are between 0.0 and 1.0.
Categories (e.g. Head)
The mean average of the relevant subcategory scores.
Example = (Information Score + Communication Score) / 2
1. If any subcategory scores haven’t yet been calculated because no relevant questions have been answered, those subcategories should be ignored for this calculation.
Subcategories (e.g. Information)
The weighted mean average of the relevant normalised question scores.
1. All question scores should be normalised (to be out of 10) before the calculation is done, using the following formula:
1. If no relevant questions have yet been answered, the score is uncalculated, not 0.
Why do you ask us to answer 3 questions at a time?
Hurd has been designed to gather your views using a 'little and often' approach. This is for two reasons:
- In our user testing, people were much happier to answer a few short questions at a time than they were to answer a long survey.
- This way we can build up an ever-evolving, and eventually comprehensive picture, of your ability to act on climate at work. This wouldn't be possible with a single long survey.
It's still possible, in the app, to answer more than 3 questions if you want to. The only restriction is that you can't answer the same question twice within 30 days.
How do I change my email address?
If you need to change your email address, please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll help.
I signed up with a social account (e.g. Google, Apple, Facebook etc) but I now want to use my email address to log in instead. What should I do?
Please contact us by emailing email@example.com and we'll help.
Should I sign up with my work email or non-work email?
We recommend you sign up with your non-work email. This is in case you ever leave your company and lose access to your work email - if that happened, you might not be able to get back into your account.
I work for more than one company or have more than one type of job - which one should I use when signing up?
Hurd currently doesn't support more than one job or company, so please choose whichever one you see as your 'main' job, or whichever one you feel most like sharing your experience for.
Where can I find the references that are used in the Hurd lessons?
For ease of use, we put all of our references in one place - please find them by clicking on 'References' at the bottom of this page.
How do I unsubscribe from review reminder emails?
We're currently developing a feature where you'll be able to manage your notifications from within the app. In the meantime, if you'd rather not receive the emails, please contact us using the details at the bottom of this page.